Ask The Listener Question From Natalie Sheffield
Hey guys! I wanted to throw out a suggestion for the podcast. I recently had to back down my 50k to a half due to burnout. My problem was a fast buildup too soon. I’m always seeing people doing these epic runs on social media and I think that led to the fast build up that led to burnout. My thoughts were if they can do it , I can do it.
I was wondering if you could do a newbie podcast on what to expect and how not to get caught up with what others are doing on social media. I think it’s wonderful what people are accomplishing, but I think as a newbie you can get caught up with it and go out to hard. Social media does not showcase what it really takes to get to these high mileage points.
To help answer Natalie’s question we called up Coach Ty Draney and asked him for his sagely advice.
- Why transition from road marathon to trail ultra?
- What can you expect when making the transition?
- Slow down and walk. No REALLY it’s fine to walk!
- Wet shorts and chaffing
- Nutrition and hydration, it’s okay to eat real food
- Aid Station transitions, plan ahead for an efficient visit to the AS
- Did we mention it’s okay to walk!